Terms of Service
Last Updated: October 9, 2012
Welcome to Rockmelt! Please read these Terms of Service (the "Terms") carefully because they govern your use of the (i) website located at www.rockmelt.com (the "Site"), (ii) downloadable desktop application or extensions to third party browsers ("Software"), and (iii) social reader and browser services accessible via the Site and mobile device application ("App") all of which are made available by Rockmelt, Inc. and its subsidiaries (collectively referred to herein as "Rockmelt"). To make these Terms easier to read, the Site, our services, App and Software are collectively called the "Services."
Agreement to Terms
YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT, BY CLICKING ON THE "I AGREE" OR "I ACCEPT" BUTTON OR ACCESSING OR USING THE SERVICES, YOU ARE INDICATING THAT YOU HAVE READ, AND THAT YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY, THESE TERMS, WHETHER OR NOT YOU HAVE REGISTERED VIA THE SERVICES. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THESE TERMS, THEN YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO ACCESS OR USE THE SERVICES.
Changes to Terms or Services
We may modify the Terms at any time, in our sole discretion. If we do so, we'll let you know either by posting the modified Terms on the Site or through other communications. It's important that you review the Terms whenever we modify them because if you continue to use the Services after we have posted modified Terms on the Site, you are indicating to us that you agree to be bound by the modified Terms. If you don't agree to be bound by the modified Terms, then you can't use the Services anymore. Because our Services are evolving over time we may change or discontinue all or any part of the Services, at any time and without notice, at our sole discretion.
Using the Services
You may use the Services only if you are 13 years or older and are not barred from using the Services under applicable law.
Registration and Your Information
If you want to use certain features of the Services you'll have to create an account ("Account"). You can do this directly via the Services or through your account with certain third-party social networking services such as Facebook or Twitter (an "SNS Account"). If you choose to register via your SNS Account, we'll create your Account by extracting from your SNS Account certain personal information such as your name and email address and other personal information that your privacy settings on the SNS Account permit us to access.
It's important that you provide us with accurate, complete and up-to-date information for your Account and you agree to update such information, as needed, to keep it accurate, complete and up-to-date. If you don't, we might have to suspend or terminate your Account. You agree that you won't disclose your Account password to anyone and you'll notify us immediately of any unauthorized use of your Account. You're responsible for all activities that occur under your Account, whether or not you know about them.
We welcome feedback, comments and suggestions for improvements to the Services ("Feedback"). You can submit Feedback by sending us email to email@example.com, or selecting the "Send Feedback" option in Settings. You grant to us a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, fully-paid, royalty-free, sublicensable and transferable license under any and all intellectual property rights that you own or control to use, copy, modify, create derivative works based upon and otherwise exploit the Feedback for any purpose.
Content and Content Rights
For purposes of these Terms: (i) "Content" means text, graphics, images, music, software, audio, video, works of authorship of any kind, and information or other materials that are posted, generated, provided or otherwise made available through the Services; and (ii) "User Content" means any Content that Account holders (including you) provide to be made available through the Services, including, but not limited to, Content from SNS Accounts. Content includes without limitation User Content.
User Content from SNS Accounts
After you create an Account, you have the option of granting Rockmelt access to one or more of your SNS Accounts so that we can capture and make available the User Content you have stored in your SNS Account(s). By granting us access to any such SNS Account, you understand that we will access, make available and store (if applicable) such User Content so that it is available via the Services. We're not responsible for any User Content stored in an SNS Account that you choose to make available via the Services. Please note that if an SNS Account becomes unavailable or our access to an SNS Account is terminated, any future User Content from that SNS Account will not be available via the Services. User Content from an SNS Account that has already been made available via the Services may continue to be available via the Services even after our access to the SNS Account has been terminated. You have the ability to disable the connection between the Services and your SNS Account(s), at any time, by accessing the "My Profile" section of the Services. PLEASE NOTE THAT YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH EACH THIRD PARTY SOCIAL NETWORKING SERVICE IS GOVERNED SOLELY BY YOUR AGREEMENT(S) WITH SUCH SOCIAL NETWORKING SERVICE.
Content Ownership, Responsibility and Removal
Rockmelt does not claim any ownership rights in any User Content and nothing in these Terms will be deemed to restrict any rights that you may have to use and exploit your User Content.
Subject to the foregoing, Rockmelt and its licensors exclusively own all right, title and interest in and to the Services and Content, including all associated intellectual property rights. You acknowledge that the Services and Content are protected by copyright, trademark, and other laws of the United States and foreign countries. You agree not to remove, alter or obscure any copyright, trademark, service mark or other proprietary rights notices incorporated in or accompanying the Services or Content.
Rights in User Content Granted by You
By making any User Content available through Services you hereby grant to Rockmelt a non-exclusive, transferable, sublicenseable, worldwide, royalty-free license to use, copy, modify, distribute copies of, publicly display, publicly perform, use in marketing materials and activities, and distribute your User Content in connection with operating and providing the Services and Content to you and to other Account holders. If you do not wish to grant the foregoing rights, refrain from submitting User Content through the Services.
You are solely responsible for all your User Content. You represent and warrant that you own all your User Content or you have all rights that are necessary to grant us the license rights in your User Content under these Terms. You also represent and warrant that neither your User Content, nor your use and provision of your User Content to be made available through the Services, nor any use of your User Content by Rockmelt on or through the Services will infringe, misappropriate or violate a third party's intellectual property rights, or rights of publicity or privacy, or result in the violation of any applicable law or regulation.
You can remove your User Content by specifically deleting it, where applicable. However, in certain instances, some of your User Content (such as posts or comments you make) may not be completely removed and copies of your User Content may continue to exist on the Services. We are not responsible or liable for the removal or deletion of (or the failure to remove or delete) any of your User Content.
Rights in Content Granted by Rockmelt
Subject to your compliance with these Terms, you may access the Content in accordance with the functionality of the Services solely for your personal and non-commercial purposes. Furthermore, you agree not to solicit any users of the Services for commercial purposes with respect to the Content. For example, if you are an advertiser or advertising related company, you may not use Content to target other users with advertisements.
Grant of License for Software
Subject to your compliance with the terms and conditions of these Terms, Rockmelt grants you a non-exclusive and non-transferable license to install and use the executable form of the Software on an unlimited number of computers or devices which are owned or controlled by you. Rockmelt reserves all rights in the Software not expressly granted to you in this Agreement.
Rights and Terms for Apps
Rights in App Granted by Rockmelt
Subject to your compliance with these Terms, Rockmelt grants you a limited non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable license to download and install a copy of the App on the number of mobile devices or computers that are authorized by the applicable App Store providers and that you own or control and to run such copy of the App solely for your own personal non-commercial purposes. Rockmelt reserves all rights in and to the App not expressly granted to you under these Terms.
Additional Terms for App Store Apps
If you download the App through or from any app store or distribution platform (like the Apple iTunes App Store) where the App is made available (each, an "App Provider"), then you acknowledge and agree that:
- These Terms are concluded between you and Rockmelt, and not with the App Provider, and that Rockmelt (not the App Provider), is solely responsible for the App.
- The App Provider has no obligation to furnish any maintenance and support services with respect to the App.
- In the event of any failure of the App to conform to any applicable warranty, you may notify the App Provider, and the App Provider will refund the purchase price for the App to you (if applicable) and to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, the App Provider will have no other warranty obligation whatsoever with respect to the App. Any other claims, losses, liabilities, damages, costs or expenses attributable to any failure to conform to any warranty will be the sole responsibility of Rockmelt.
- The App Provider is not responsible for addressing any claims you have or any claims of any third party relating to the App or your possession and use of the App, including, but not limited to: (i) product liability claims; (ii) any claim that the App fails to conform to any applicable legal or regulatory requirement; and (iii) claims arising under consumer protection or similar legislation.
- In the event of any third party claim that the App or your possession and use of that App infringes that third party's intellectual property rights, Rockmelt will be solely responsible for the investigation, defense, settlement and discharge of any such intellectual property infringement claim to the extent required by these Terms.
- The App Provider and its subsidiaries are third party beneficiaries of these Terms as related to your license of the App, and that, upon your acceptance of the terms and conditions of these Terms, the App Provider will have the right (and will be deemed to have accepted the right) to enforce these Terms as related to your license of the App against you as a third party beneficiary thereof.
- You must also comply with all applicable third party terms of service when using the App.
- You agree to comply with all U.S. and foreign export laws and regulations to ensure that neither the App nor any technical data related thereto nor any direct product thereof is exported or re-exported directly or indirectly in violation of, or used for any purposes prohibited by, such laws and regulations. By using the App you represent and warrant that: (i) you are not located in a country that is subject to a U.S. Government embargo, or that has been designated by the U.S. Government as a "terrorist supporting" country; and (ii) you are not listed on any U.S. Government list of prohibited or restricted parties.
You may not: (i) copy, modify or create derivative works based on the App or Software; (ii)distribute, transfer, sublicense, lease, lend or rent the App or Software to any third party; (iii)reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the App or Software; or (iv) make the functionality of the App or Software available to multiple users through any means.
You agree not to do any of the following:
- Post, upload, publish, submit or transmit any Content that: (i)infringes, misappropriates or violates a third party's patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, moral rights or other intellectual property rights, or rights of publicity or privacy; (ii) violates, or encourages any conduct that would violate, any applicable law or regulation or would give rise to civil liability; (iii) is fraudulent, false, misleading or deceptive; (iv) is defamatory, obscene, pornographic, vulgar or offensive; (v)promotes discrimination, bigotry, racism, hatred, harassment or harm against any individual or group; (vi) is violent or threatening or promotes violence or actions that are threatening to any person or entity; or (vii)promotes illegal or harmful activities or substances.
- Use, display, mirror or frame the Services, or any individual element within the Services, Rockmelt's name, any Rockmelt trademark, logo or other proprietary information, or the layout and design of any page or form contained on a page, without Rockmelt's express written consent;
- Access, tamper with, or use non-public areas of the Services, Rockmelt's computer systems, or the technical delivery systems of Rockmelt's providers;
- Attempt to probe, scan, or test the vulnerability of any Rockmelt system or network or breach any security or authentication measures;
- Avoid, bypass, remove, deactivate, impair, descramble or otherwise circumvent any technological measure implemented by Rockmelt or any of Rockmelt's providers or any other third party (including another user) to protect the Services;
- Attempt to access or search the Services or download Content from the Services through the use of any engine, software, tool, agent, device or mechanism (including spiders, robots, crawlers, data mining tools or the like) other than the software and/or search agents provided by Rockmelt or other generally available third party web browsers;
- Send any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, email, junk mail, spam, chain letters or other form of solicitation;
- Use any meta tags or other hidden text or metadata utilizing a Rockmelt trademark, logo URL or product name without Rockmelt's express written consent;
- Use the Services for any commercial purpose or the benefit of any third party or in any manner not permitted by these Terms;
- Forge any TCP/IP packet header or any part of the header information in any email or newsgroup posting, or in any way use the Services to send altered, deceptive or false source-identifying information;
- Attempt to decipher, decompile, disassemble or reverse engineer any of the software used to provide the Services;
- Interfere with, or attempt to interfere with, the access of any user, host or network, including, without limitation, sending a virus, overloading, flooding, spamming, or mail-bombing the Services;
- Collect or store any personally identifiable information from the Services from other users of the Services without their express permission;
- Impersonate or misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity;
- Violate any applicable law or regulation; or
- Encourage or enable any other individual to do any of the foregoing.
Rockmelt's Enforcement Rights
Although we're not obligated to monitor access to or use of the Services or Content or to review or edit any Content, we have the right to do so for the purpose of operating the Services, to ensure compliance with these Terms, or to comply with applicable law or other legal requirements. We reserve the right, but are not obligated, to remove or disable access to any Content, at any time and without notice, including, but not limited to, if we, at our sole discretion, consider any Content to be objectionable or in violation of these Terms. We have the right to investigate violations of these Terms or conduct that affects the Services. We may also consult and cooperate with law enforcement authorities to prosecute users who violate the law.
Rockmelt respects copyright law and expects its users to do the same. It is Rockmelt's policy to terminate in appropriate circumstances Account holders who repeatedly infringe the rights of copyright holders. Please see Rockmelt's Copyright Policy at www.rockmelt.com/copyright.html for further information.
Links to Third Party Websites or Resources
The Services and App may contain links to third-party websites or resources. We provide these links only as a convenience and are not responsible for the content, products or services on or available from those websites or resources or links displayed on such sites. You acknowledge sole responsibility for and assume all risk arising from, your use of any third-party websites or resources.
We may terminate your access to and use of the Services, at our sole discretion, at any time and without notice to you. You may cancel your Account at any time by sending an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon any termination, discontinuation or cancellation of Services or your Account, all provisions of these Terms which by their nature should survive will survive, including, without limitation, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, limitations of liability, and dispute resolution provisions.
THE SERVICES AND CONTENT ARE PROVIDED "AS IS," WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, WE EXPLICITLY DISCLAIM ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, QUIET ENJOYMENT OR NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND ANY WARRANTIES ARISING OUT OF COURSE OF DEALING OR USAGE OF TRADE. We make no warranty that the Services will meet your requirements or be available on an uninterrupted, secure, or error-free basis. We make no warranty regarding the quality, accuracy, timeliness, truthfulness, completeness or reliability of any Content.
You will indemnify and hold harmless Rockmelt and its officers, directors, employee and agents, from and against any claims, disputes, demands, liabilities, damages, losses, and costs and expenses, including, without limitation, reasonable legal and accounting fees arising out of or in any way connected with (i) your access to or use of the Services or Content, (ii) your User Content, or (iii) your violation of these Terms.
Limitation of Liability
NEITHER ROCKMELT NOR ANY OTHER PARTY INVOLVED IN CREATING, PRODUCING, OR DELIVERING THE SERVICES OR CONTENT WILL BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING LOST PROFITS, LOSS OF DATA OR GOODWILL, SERVICE INTERRUPTION, COMPUTER DAMAGE OR SYSTEM FAILURE OR THE COST OF SUBSTITUTE SERVICES ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THESE TERMS OR FROM THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICES OR CONTENT, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), PRODUCT LIABILITY OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND WHETHER OR NOT ROCKMELT HAS BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE, EVEN IF A LIMITED REMEDY SET FORTH HEREIN IS FOUND TO HAVE FAILED OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
IN NO EVENT WILL ROCKMELT'S TOTAL LIABILITY ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THESE TERMS OR FROM THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICES OR CONTENT EXCEED TWENTY DOLLARS (\$20). THE LIMITATIONS OF DAMAGES SET FORTH ABOVE ARE FUNDAMENTAL ELEMENTS OF THE BASIS OF THE BARGAIN BETWEEN ROCKMELT AND YOU.
THE LIMITATIONS OF DAMAGES SET FORTH ABOVE ARE FUNDAMENTAL ELEMENTS OF THE BASIS OF THE AGREEMENT BETWEEN ROCKMELT AND YOU.
These Terms and any action related thereto will be governed by the laws of the State of California without regard to its conflict of laws provisions.
Agreement to Arbitrate
You and Rockmelt agree that any dispute, claim or controversy arising out of or relating to these Terms or the breach, termination, enforcement, interpretation or validity thereof or the use of the Services or Content (collectively, "Disputes") will be settled by binding arbitration, except that each party retains the right: (i) to bring an individual action in small claims court and (ii) to seek injunctive or other equitable relief in a court of competent jurisdiction to prevent the actual or threatened infringement, misappropriation or violation of a party's copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, patents or other intellectual property rights (the action described in the foregoing clause (ii), an "IP Protection Action"). The exclusive jurisdiction and venue of any IP Protection Action will be the state and federal courts located in the Northern District of California and each of the parties hereto waives any objection to jurisdiction and venue in such courts. You acknowledge and agree that you and Rockmelt are each waiving the right to a trial by jury or to participate as a plaintiff or class member in any purported class action or representative proceeding. Further, unless both you and Rockmelt otherwise agree in writing, the arbitrator may not consolidate more than one person's claims, and may not otherwise preside over any form of any class or representative proceeding. If this specific paragraph is held unenforceable, then the entirety of this "Dispute Resolution" section will be deemed void. Except as provided in the preceding sentence, this "Dispute Resolution" section will survive any termination of these Terms.
The arbitration will be administered by the American Arbitration Association ("AAA") in accordance with the Commercial Arbitration Rules and the Supplementary Procedures for Consumer Related Disputes (the "AAA Rules") then in effect, except as modified by this "Dispute Resolution" section. (The AAA Rules are available at www.adr.org/arb_med or by calling the AAA at 1-800-778-7879.) The Federal Arbitration Act will govern the interpretation and enforcement of this Section.
A party who desires to initiate arbitration must provide the other party with a written Demand for Arbitration as specified in the AAA Rules. (The AAA provides a form Demand for Arbitration at http://www.adr.org/aaa/ShowPDF?doc=ADRSTG_004175 and a separate form for California residents at http://www.adr.org/aaa/ShowPDF?doc=ADRSTG_015822.) The arbitrator will be either a retired judge or an attorney licensed to practice law and will be selected by the parties from the AAA's roster of arbitrators. If the parties are unable to agree upon an arbitrator within seven (7) days of delivery of the Demand for Arbitration, then the AAA will appoint the arbitrator in accordance with the AAA Rules.
Arbitration Location and Procedure
Unless you and Rockmelt otherwise agree, the arbitration will be conducted in the county where you reside. If your claim does not exceed \$10,000, then the arbitration will be conducted solely on the basis of the documents that you and Rockmelt submit to the arbitrator, unless you request a hearing or the arbitrator determines that a hearing is necessary. If your claim exceeds \$10,000, your right to a hearing will be determined by the AAA Rules. Subject to the AAA Rules, the arbitrator will have the discretion to direct a reasonable exchange of information by the parties, consistent with the expedited nature of the arbitration.
The arbitrator will render an award within the time frame specified in the AAA Rules. The arbitrator's decision will include the essential findings and conclusions upon which the arbitrator based the award. Judgment on the arbitration award may be entered in any court having jurisdiction thereof. The arbitrator's award of damages must be consistent with the terms of the "Limitation of Liability" section above as to the types and amounts of damages for which a party may be held liable. The arbitrator may award declaratory or injunctive relief only in favor of the claimant and only to the extent necessary to provide relief warranted by the claimant's individual claim. If you prevail in arbitration you will be entitled to an award of attorneys' fees and expenses, to the extent provided under applicable law. Rockmelt will not seek, and hereby waives all rights it may have under applicable law to recover, attorneys' fees and expenses if it prevails in arbitration.
Your responsibility to pay any AAA filing, administrative and arbitrator fees will be solely as set forth in the AAA Rules. However, if your claim for damages does not exceed \$75,000, Rockmelt will pay all such fees unless the arbitrator finds that either the substance of your claim or the relief sought in your Demand for Arbitration was frivolous or was brought for an improper purpose (as measured by the standards set forth in Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 11(b)).
Notwithstanding the provisions of the "Modification" section above, if Rockmelt changes this "Dispute Resolution" section after the date you first accepted these Terms (or accepted any subsequent changes to these Terms), you may reject any such change by sending us written notice (including by email to email@example.com) within 30 days of the date such change became effective, as indicated in the "Last Updated" date above or in the date of Rockmelt's email to you notifying you of such change. By rejecting any change, you are agreeing that you will arbitrate any Dispute between you and Rockmelt in accordance with the provisions of this "Dispute Resolution" section as of the date you first accepted these Terms (or accepted any subsequent changes to these Terms).
These Terms constitute the entire and exclusive understanding and agreement between Rockmelt and you regarding the Services and Content, and these Terms supersede and replace any and all prior oral or written understandings or agreements between Rockmelt and you regarding the Services and Content. If for any reason a court of competent jurisdiction finds any provision of these Terms invalid or unenforceable, that provision will be enforced to the maximum extent permissible and the other provisions of these Terms will remain in full force and effect.
You may not assign or transfer these Terms, by operation of law or otherwise, without Rockmelt's prior written consent. Any attempt by you to assign or transfer these Terms, without such consent, will be null and of no effect. Rockmelt may freely assign or transfer these Terms without restriction. Subject to the foregoing, these Terms will bind and inure to the benefit of the parties, their successors and permitted assigns.
Any notices or other communications provided by Rockmelt under these Terms, including those regarding modifications to these Terms, will be given by Rockmelt: (i) via email; or (ii) by posting to the Services. For notices made by e-mail, the date of receipt will be deemed the date on which such notice is transmitted.
Rockmelt's failure to enforce any right or provision of these Terms will not be considered a waiver of those rights. The waiver of any such right or provision will be effective only if in writing and signed by a duly authorized representative of Rockmelt. Except as expressly set forth in these Terms, the exercise by either party of any of its remedies under these Terms will be without prejudice to its other remedies under these Terms or otherwise.
If you have any questions about these Terms or the Services, please contact Rockmelt at firstname.lastname@example.org or at
800 California Street, Suite 300,
Mountain View, California 94041.